These are some of the amazing benefits of painting in acrylics:
- Wonderfully versatile and a joy to handle
- Lends itself to a whole range of techniques e.g. delicate washes, glazes, bold thick juicy layers.
- Quick drying, good covering power.
- Great brilliance of colour (depending on brand.)
- Doesn’t fade in the sun.
- Once dry, the synthetic plastic coating is almost indestructible.
- Can be used on card, paper, board, canvas and wood, metal glass, fabric provided they are non-greasy and have enough tooth to hold the paint
- Dissolves in water.
- Once dry, can be painted over and mistakes corrected.
- Can be used as an underpainting medium for oils.
- Can be over painted within 30 minutes of application.
- Can be used with modelling compounds and texture pastes (gels) to create relief surfaces.
- Easy to clean up although it is not wise to put left over paint into the sink because it may end up in our waterways.
My next post will show you how to get started with an easy exercise in the style of Vincent Van Gogh. With all these benefits, why hold back?